There are a variety of programs that Northwestern students can choose from – one-year, two quarters, one quarter, and summer abroad programs.
Study Abroad in Japan Information Session 2018-2019
Learn about various study abroad options in Japan from program returnees, faculty, and staff from the Office of Undergraduate Learning Abroad.
Date: Monday October 22, 2018
Place: Kresge Hall 1515
Northwestern Affiliated Programs
One quarter, two quarters, and academic year abroad options are available through the following five NU Affiliated Programs. The programs are listed in alphabetical order.
- CIEE Tokyo Arts & Sciences at Sophia University, Tokyo
- IES (Institute for the International Education of Students)-Nagoya at Nanzan University, Nagoya
- IES (Institute for the International Education of Students)-Tokyo: Language and Culture at Kanda University of International Studies, Makuhari, Chiba
- Japan Study at Waseda University, Tokyo
- Kyoto Consortium for Japanese Studies at Doshisha University, Kyoto
- Koto Consortium for Japanese Studies (Kyoto-based website)
Unaffiliated Programs: Recommended Summer Programs
Currently, Northwestern University has no affiliated programs for summer study abroad in Japan. This list includes the programs Northwestern students participated in the past (marked with *) and the programs Northwestern students have not participated, but may be worth checking (marked with **). The programs are listed in alphabetical order.
- HIF (Hokkaido International Foundation) Japanese Language and Japanese Culture Program, Hakodate, Hokkaido*
- ICU (International Christian University) Summer Courses in Japanese, Tokyo*
- IES-Nagoya Summer - Language and Culture at Nanzan University, Nagoya**
- Kyoto Consortium for Japanese Studies: Kyoto Summer Programs in Modern and Classical Japanese (KCJS) at Doshisha University, Kyoto**
- Princeton in Ishikawa Program, Kanazawa, Ishikawa*
- Waseda University Center for Japanese Language Short-term Japanese Program, Tokyo*
- The Yamasa Institute, Okazaki, Aichi*
- Since this is a private language school not affiliated with a university, students will not earn any Northwestern University credits through this program.
To learn more about these unafilliated programs, contact Yumi Shiojima, Study Abroad Coordinator in the Japanese Language Program.
For information on Northwestern's affiliated and unaffiliated study abroad application procedures, contact the Office of Undergraduate Learning Abroad.
Scholarships for Studying in Japan
- Northwestern University Undergraduate Language Grants, for summer intensive language study
- Northwestern University Undergraduate Research Grants
- Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences Sion Asia-related Research Grants
- Bridging Scholarship, American Association of Teachers of Japanese
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Blakemore Freeman Fellowships for Advanced Asian Language Study
- Boren Scholarship
- Critical Language Scholarship
- Freeman-Asia Award