Skip to main content

Study Abroad

There are a variety of programs that NU students can choose from – one-year, two quarters, one quarter, and summer abroad programs. Students who come back from a study abroad or summer program at any institutions (including IPD Beijing Summer Program) and want to continue language study at Northwestern and/or want to transfer credits for language course work to Northwestern MUST also take the placement test.  Returnees from various programs will share their experiences at this information session.

To learn more about Study abroad possibilities in the sinosphere, please contact the Study Abroad adviser Wen-pin Hsieh. ALC majors/minors need to consult ALC's Director of Undergraduate Studies before their study abroad experience to discuss which courses will count towards meeting ALC degree requirements.

You can find additional information at the Study Abroad Office’s websites listed below:

NU Affiliated Programs (listed in alphabetical order)

Non-Affiliated Programs

The following programs are notable non-affiliated study abroad programs.

For information on NU's affiliated and non-affiliated study abroad application procedures, contact the Study Abroad Office.

You can also find useful information about unaffiliated summer programs on the Study Abroad website. 


Scholarships for studying in Hong Kong, the People’s Republic of China, and Republic of China (Taiwan).

Some study abroad programs offer financial aid. Please check the relevant programs for detailed information.

Back to top